Entry 3: Welcome to Tainan

    Tainan has been amazing so far—I might even like it more than Taipei. While I did appreciate Taipei’s highrise buildings, Tainan’s alleyways rival them for my favorability. Tainan has a big-city vibe but feels much more compact and walkable. The food here is fantastic, right down to the hotel breakfast. I’m a big fan of hotel breakfasts, even the basic American ones, so the variety of traditional Taiwanese options at this hotel has been a real treat. One of the best meals I’ve ever had was at a BBQ spot after our indigo dyeing session. Asking locals for recommendations has proven to be an extremely smart method for finding hidden gem restaurants (unsurprisingly). We shared a huge range of dishes, and it only cost around $10 USD per person. The restaurant’s cozy, rustic feel, paired with the rain outside, made it a truly memorable experience. I loved the salt pork and salt fish—they were stand-out highlights.


Salt Pork -> 10/10

    I also had some incredible Japanese food during another rainstorm. Hiding out in restaurants during the rain has become a go-to strategy for me. It made me wonder if local businesses see a boost in sales during bad weather as people seek shelter and end up buying something. Regardless, the Japanese meal was some of the best I’ve had. I’m certainly going to miss the food culture here and the wide variety of options. I’d love to incorporate elements of this into my future design work. I’ve always been passionate about food and beverage packaging design, so it would be amazing to include aspects of Taiwanese cuisine in my current project.
I love Nutritional Biscuits

    On that note, Taiwan’s graphic packaging design has been incredibly inspiring. I’ve seen so many drink bottles and cans with creative designs that I want to keep photographing during my countless 7/11 and Family Mart visits. The packaging here is more visual and cartoonish, and there are also some traditional designs, like the Nutritional Biscuit plastic, that really stand out. Asian packaging has always been more inventive, but seeing it all in one place, rather than just at specialty stores back in the States, is amazing.

    I’m also loving the alley culture in Tainan. There’s always something interesting to see in the alleys, whether it’s a shop or a restaurant. The apartment buildings feature cool tile patterns and metal window grates. Wandering through these alleys feels a bit like stepping into some of the anime I’ve watched, though Tainan’s alleys are denser and more green than the brick and warm-colored alleys of Europe. I love how nature is woven into the cityscape, creating a blend of urban and organic elements.

Tainan Alleyway

    The temples here have been absolutely jaw-dropping. As a religion minor, I’ve found a deep connection with my academic interests through these visits. The architecture, craftsmanship, and artistry of each temple are stunning. I was particularly impressed with the sculptures on the ceilings and the pointed rooflines. The circular doorframes between buildings are a unique feature I haven’t seen in American architecture, but I’d love to incorporate them into my own home.

Circular Temple Door

    Tainan is packed with little details and hidden gems. I’m excited to keep exploring and discovering more of what this vibrant city has to offer.

Roof of the Temple

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 1 thru 3 in Taipei

Week One: Patterns in Taiwanese Design

ENTRY 4