ENTRY 5

Throughout my explorations of Tainan’s alleys, I’ve discovered many cool modern and digital art posters. I am particularly intrigued by how modern art studios seamlessly integrate with Tainan’s historical architecture, or how they use thoughtful contemporary design elements to stand out in the alleyways. One studio I passed utilized existing mirrors nearby adorned with small black decals to advertise their shop. They employed a sleek sans-serif typeface and a unique warped text effect, that I thought was tastefully eye-catching. I’ve also come across a well-executed poster with a warm-tone gradient and minimalist typeface promoting an upcoming event, displayed in multiple windows throughout the city. I enjoy peeking into the windows of these studios; they offer a sleek, clean contrast to traditional architecture, maintaining an understated elegance. The art style on the poster below is particularly intriguing, as I’ve always admired creative interpretations of caricature art. The shiny effect used by the artist is something I haven’t seen many times before.

Local digital art poster

I was thrilled to visit the Chuan Mei Theater during the day, and even more thrilled to see that they sold postcards of the famous hand-painted posters. I have always had an interest in film and find movie posters exciting—but then again, who doesn’t? Initially learning that these posters are hand-painted and uphold a long-standing tradition in Tainan was amazing. I can’t imagine the amount of time and care that goes into creating each one, and I would love to meet the artists behind them. I particularly enjoyed the use of neon, vibrant, and untraditional colors on the posters. Additionally, I was surprised to discover that Ang Lee, whose work I admire, hails from Tainan and was inspired by this very theater. As a huge fan of Brokeback Mountain, this connection feels particularly special. I’m excited to organize and frame the postcards I bought, planning to arrange them in two rows of three and hang the final poster on my wall.

Chuan Mei Theater posters

I found a wealth of inspiration in the incense packaging, especially the rectangular boxes that thoughtfully coordinated the sticks with both the interior and exterior designs. My interest in packaging, particularly in the food and beverage sector, was further sparked by my visit to the incense shop. I am fascinated by the concept of color coordination inside the packaging, as maintaining fun and exciting energy throughout the unboxing process is something I strive to emphasize in my own work. This summer, I designed a box for Stanley, focusing as much on the internal details as the external ones, so seeing this approach applied to incense packaging was inspiring. I also admired a light pink box featuring metallic blue text, which created a sophisticated, high-end look despite its affordability. In the world of packaging, where creativity sometimes takes a backseat to functionality, discovering new ways to infuse fun and innovation into boxes and labels is always exciting.

Traditional incense packaging

During our free day, I had the opportunity to explore the city on my own, which was something I had been looking forward to. I walked extensively and, on my journey back to the hotel, I stumbled upon a beautiful temple. With the sun lower in the sky, it perfectly illuminated the roof, highlighting the vibrant rainbow tilework. I spent quite some time admiring the intricate motifs and roofing, taking in the detailed scenes featuring figures, animals, and, of course, dragons. The greens of the temple roof were mirrored in the alley by the green plastic awning, creating a strikingly coordinated visual. Although these roofing styles are quite different, they complemented each other beautifully in my photos. I’ve been deeply impressed by the beauty of Taiwan’s temples and hope to explore more during my final days here. I’ve never encountered religious sites as stunning as these.

Temple hidden in an alley

I’ve discovered a newfound love for shaved ice and am eagerly anticipating trying mango ice tomorrow. So far, I’ve visited the ice shop down the street from the hotel three times, and I plan to go every day until we leave. At less than $3, this treat is perfect for cooling off in the insanely hot weather. I’ll miss this dearly.


Ice with condensed milk and rice balls




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 1 thru 3 in Taipei

Week One: Patterns in Taiwanese Design

ENTRY 4