Days 1 thru 3 in Taipei

Despite having only been in Taipei for three days, I already feel fairly comfortable with the city and have partaken in many new experiences.

One of the most notable—and one of my favorite—parts of the trip so far has been tasting all of the new foods. I’ve always been an adventurous eater and cost-conscious, so Taipei has been extremely enticing in this regard. So far, the only foods I haven’t enjoyed have been stinky tofu, duck blood, and durian fruit. I particularly enjoyed my lunch today, where we shared five massive bowls of noodles among five of us. The noodles were phenomenal, and at roughly $3 USD per person, I was overjoyed. I wonder how food culture keeps people connected in Taiwan and what grievances they experience around dining out. What are the pain points for locals? For me, it’s not understanding the menu, and for the student I was with, it seemed that he was anxious about ordering the wrong items.

I’ve been starting each morning by running around the area near the hotel. I run about half a mile past empty vendors and then continue on a paved trail along the river. This has been a beautiful experience and gives me a glimpse into the early morning culture of Taipei. I’ve seen people practicing tai chi and many elderly people out for their walks. Something interesting I’ve noticed is that most people who exercise are much older. I’ve only seen two other younger women working out during my runs. Although I usually do not prefer running on trails, after 6:30 AM, the streets of Taipei become too busy with scooters to run around. I wonder why more young people are not active in the mornings and how design might assist elderly citizens who are morning athletes.

Public transportation has played a huge role in our day-to-day travels. The MRT is especially efficient and provides a nice, air-conditioned relief from the heat. Although I was initially worried about understanding public transportation, I’ve found the train system surprisingly easy to use. I’m not as confident about the bus system, however. What are people’s biggest issues with the Taipei transport system? How can the experience be made less stressful and more of a break in the day?

I’ve heard from many interesting speakers who posed questions that resonated with me, like how we might design for a circular humanity and how we can use design to help even just one person. Both speakers were extremely informed and passionate, and their love for design inspired me to collaborate on something meaningful.

Better understanding the students and their daily lives has opened my eyes to the inner workings of Taipei and how the city impacts their lives. Hearing about their stressors and preferences made me realize how similar we all are. Additionally, many of their struggles seem specific to Taipei, such as traffic dangers and the heat, which makes me reflect on what issues might be unique to Seattle in my own life. I've also made some of my best memories with the students, including a particularly enjoyable lunch today.

One activity that disrupted my learning and development was collecting materials before brainstorming ideas. My group seemed generally confused, and one of the students appeared unaware that she was part of our project team.

I thoroughly enjoyed the National Palace Museum tour; the guide was exceptional. I hope to incorporate reflections from this tour, particularly the emphasis on nature, into my future work. I was inspired by the concept of an artist designing a bowl to resemble a dying lily pad, but creating something even more beautiful than the plant itself. I aspire to create something as meaningful as that.

Running on my own has also given me special insights into the lives of elderly Taiwanese citizens. I have always had a deep appreciation for the elderly and am interested in designing for them back in Seattle as well as here.

Thus far, the trip has been truly enlightening, active, and special. I look forward to seeing what’s next and what I learn in the days to come.

An ad that I enjoy from the MRT station

My lunch meal shared amongst friends

View from my morning run

Busy Taipei street

Inspiration from the museum






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Patterns in Taiwanese Design

ENTRY 4