Week One: Patterns in Taiwanese Design

Wednesday was centered around ceramics, beginning with a visit to the Yingge Ceramic Museum. I was immediately struck by the museum’s architecture upon our arrival. The building's design, with its intricate use of metal beams and expansive glass panels, was visually captivating. The interplay of these materials created a stunning grid-like effect that drew me in. While the pottery exhibits were engaging and enjoyable, the architectural design of the museum itself was, in my view, equally, if not more, impressive.

View from the top of the museum stairs

Among the exhibits, I was particularly taken with the decorative tiles and a few select vases. A notable highlight was a blue, functional stacking container adorned with a cherry blossom motif. This piece resonated with me both for its form and function. The decorative tiles reminded me of similar tiles that my grandmother had in her kitchen. The vases that I appreciated most featured natural colors and a matte texture, evoking imagery of canyons and Southwestern aesthetics. The experience of painting pottery was also quite enjoyable, and I am eager to see the final result of my mug. I faced some challenges with the paint application, as the shading did not appear as expected, and the final appearance may differ from my original intention.

Cherry blossom container

The mug I painted w/ a design inspired by both museums

The Dot Design tour was particularly intriguing to me due to my interest in packaging design. They presented some highly unique pieces, among which I found the larger, realistic cat-shaped box most appealing. Its design struck a balance between functionality and whimsy. The Canele stools were another highlight; their design could easily fit into a modern educational facility or contemporary setting if the colors were adjusted to more neutral tones.

Enjoying the cat box

I was very pleased with the work my group presented for our final design cultural hack presentation. My contribution focused on tile design, drawing substantial inspiration from our previous visits. For several designs, I directly referenced geometric tiles seen at the museum, exploring how common motifs could be reimagined using the forms of various spice ingredients. I was particularly satisfied with the final result, as it effectively incorporated many elements of Taiwanese design and culture. Additionally, integrating both a categorical and numerical system into the design added a valuable layer of complexity which I was proud to create. 

A significant takeaway from the past few days has been the importance of tiles and repetitive patterns in design. Tiles are present in numerous contexts, from sidewalks to kitchens, windows to museums. Previously, I had not associated tiles with Taiwanese culture, instead considering them more emblematic of Spanish or Southwestern design. This week, however, has broadened my perspective, allowing me to appreciate the design significance of tiles within Taiwanese culture. I am now inspired to explore continuous patterns and embed meaning into motifs in my own design work. The role of repetition and pattern in Taiwanese design is prominent, and I aim to incorporate these characteristics into my designs, focusing on simplification and meaningful representation.

Working with and interacting with students from SCU was another amazing experience. Their fresh perspectives and feedback provided valuable insights that I had not encountered before. One particularly memorable conversation revolved around wedding and celebratory customs in Taiwanese society. During a lively dinner, we discussed the importance of food in fostering connections and shared insights about Taiwanese culture while also exchanging American culinary traditions. This exchange was both enlightening and heartwarming, underscoring the significance of shared dining experiences in making personal connections. It was very sweet and a meal I’ll remember for a long time.

Dinner with the Taiwanese students



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 1 thru 3 in Taipei

ENTRY 4