ENTRY 4

I want to start this post by sharing the incredible rainbow I witnessed while writing. It was the most stunning rainbow I've ever seen—complete from top to bottom. I’m so grateful to have experienced it. This beautiful display was followed by an equally gorgeous sunset, which gave me a moment to reflect on how fortunate I am to be in such a beautiful country. Taiwan’s natural beauty has truly shone through during this trip, especially during our time in the mountains. I've found immense joy and inspiration in the local flora, wildlife, and overall surroundings.

Rainbow 10/10 

The Yoshan Tea Culture Museum was an eye-opening experience from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed the museum tour, the demonstration, and the taste testing. Learning about the immense care and effort that goes into crafting a single cup of tea was astounding and deepened my appreciation for the drink. I also gained a better understanding of the cultural significance and pride associated with proper tea preparation. There is a significant cultural difference between tea drinking in Taiwan and coffee drinking in America. The respect and artistry involved in Taiwanese tea stand in stark contrast to the quick and effortless coffee culture I’ve grown accustomed to. Moving forward, I plan to take the time and care to prepare my drinks, even if it's coffee, so that I’m crafting something with love and bringing a sense of beverage pride back home. Trying the teas that we have learned about was really cool and gave me a good reference to the notes the guide was referring to earlier.

Proper tea preparation at YTCM

My favorite experience in Taichung was staying at the stunning Star Hostel. As a big fan of the hospitality industry and a lover of interior design, I was thrilled by how these two fields were combined. The hostel's design was phenomenal, from the lush plants and Japanese-inspired tatami seating areas to the floor-to-ceiling windows and stark white hallways. Every detail was meticulously crafted, creating an extremely thoughtful and cohesive environment. The hostel certainly achieved its goal of evoking a sense of peace, particularly in the communal areas. I was especially taken with the exposed local wood and rattan furniture. The breakfast was also excellent and professionally executed. This experience has sparked my interest in exploring interior design more deeply, whether as a professional pursuit or a hobby. Although I usually prefer residential design, I’m now keen to learn more about restaurant and hospitality design.

Star Hostel lobby

NTCRI was fascinating, particularly the bamboo exhibition. I was most impressed by the bamboo chairs. The craftsmanship was outstanding; I was amazed at how perfectly everything aligned and the thoughtfulness of the details. One chair featured intriguing joints that mirrored the natural joints found in wild bamboo. Its back had a delicate curve, while the front legs stood straight. Another notable feature was the double layer of bamboo, likely for added support. The top layer of the seat was followed by a lower layer, open at the front. I found this design element particularly interesting. I also admired the soft and smooth shaping of the curved double-layered bamboo chair near the front of the exhibit, which is pictured below. The skill required to shape the curves so beautifully is immense. Although I usually prefer geometric pieces, I was really taken with these organic lines and would like to incorporate such elements into my own work when possible. The chair exemplified the perfect balance of hard and soft, rigid and rounded.
Impressive bamboo chair

Finally, I want to feature the adorable drawing on my Starbucks cup. I love Starbucks—I am an avid fan—and I was finally able to try the Taiwanese specialty drink. It was great, and this cat doodle made it even better.
Thanks, Starbucks employee!


Comments

  1. I also enjoyed the Star Hostel very much! I had the opportunity to dine with the founder of HomeWork Studio and learned how the founder of the hostel sourced wood locally from Taiwan, all while committing to eliminating plastic use throughout the entire hotel. For instance, they commissioned a craftsman to create a rattan bar stool—an unusual choice for rattan, as it’s typically not used for western-style furniture. If I run this program again, I’ll definitely plan for a longer stay.

    Also, great eye on the bamboo chair! It was designed by Konstantin Grcic, and each chair retails for $250,000 NT ($8,000 USD).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Days 1 thru 3 in Taipei

Week One: Patterns in Taiwanese Design